Sunday, October 31, 2010

Omar Khdar. Who says we want him back?

I can't really say I've followed the case with any sort of diligence... I haven't.  I was somewhat aghast at the initial case, learning that some zealot would take a son and send him off to fight some war "back home". Dad should have stayed there if he wanted to be involved so badly.
What I don't get, is why Canada spent as much time as they did negotiating this "deal". Omar pleads guilty, says some nice words, gets a 40 year sentence from the jury and then an 8 year sentence as a result of his plea bargain.
I like bargains. Ask my friends, (or my wife, who is forever eating the 30% off meats from the clearance section at Safeway), and they'll tell you I know how to find a deal, but this one surpasses anything I could have pulled off. After a year (or so) at GitMo, he can apply for a transfer to his "home and native land", where the idea of justice is somewhat skewed... at a level about equal to his Dad's ideas about peaceful demonstrations.
Once here, he'll probably do two years, and get probation, telling us all who he wants to change the world through peaceful dialogue. Nice. S o let me go back to my high school math and figure out what 3/40 is. My thinking is that it ends up as a small fraction.
Just one day I'd like that kind of justice. I'd like to get a $300 fine for speeding through a "red light camera" and pay $22.50, or get clocked at 160km/hr in a 90km/hr zone but have the Officer look at the 70km over as being 5.25km and ignore me all together.
Ahh to dream... like even the interest on my credit card to go from 24% down to .42%. I'd borrow more.
I worked with an older Russian Mennonite for some time who had a way of making his thoughts known when he heard about this sort of thing. He'd bellow out in his accent,"Oh Canada!" I think those were the only words of the anthem he knew... and there are times I don't hold that against him... like now.
Here's hoping Vic Towes gets in the middle of this travesty.
What do you suppose our neighbours to the south think about this?

1 comment:

  1. Think a couple of judicial analysts summed it up pretty good. If Khadr serves his full sentence in the U.S. and then is deported to Canada, there is no mechanism to refuse a Canadian citizen from coming home.

    And if he served his full sentence in the U.S., he would have no criminal record in Canada. None. We could charge him again but with what? The crime took place in another country against another country's citizen and was tried in a court and served to the max that their court decided.

    I suppose we could create a special law with the not withstanding clause to strip people of their citizenship but where does he get deported to after? The U.S. doesn't want him after a full sentence. They would believe quite rightly that it is Canada's responsibility to take their citizens back.

    By my understanding, the U.S. wants to transfer prisoners to Canada so that they will have criminal records in Canada as part of the deal.

    ReplyDelete