Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"TO BE (afraid), OR NOT TO BE (afraid)?!"

That's not really the question. The real question is, "Am I afraid, or just "cautious""? Maybe I'm "smart".

Doubt it.

Last night before retiring to bed, my wife inserted her ear plugs. I don't snore, nor do I babble incessantly while I sleep. There is a lot of "white noise" with all the windows open. I can usually tolerate it. Sirens, screeching tires... they are products of living in the city. Any city.

Black noise. Now that's a matter entirely different. Last night a shirtless clown was BRAVEly walking down the street talking far too loud to his "buddy" at three o'clock. A little later, some female was SQUAWking about something or other, f-bombing away. Finally they two, which was 4, met up and had a (whadda' ya call those circle meetings?) where they continued their far too loud banter.

I looked out the window and saw them. I thought about saying,"Excuse me, can you keep it down?", but didn't.

Why didn't I? Had it been some older guy (imagine an elderly man with a walking cane) I certainly would have, but we have a proliferation of young, fairly stupid, fearless people in the city, who really don't care about MY well being, and certainly don't value their own station in life to any degree. My home could instantly become a target, culminating in some sort of action on my part. "Could I ward off the circle meeting gang with a 2x4?". Probably not. Do I really feel the need to replace the sound glass in my windows? No. "Do I need to replace the boards on my fence?" Probably not.

So... am I afraid?

Smart?

It's a fine line. I wish I was brave enough to say, “I have no problem going downtown, I have no problem going to the  North End, regardless of the day of the week, regardless of what time it is,” but I'm not.

I suppose that makes me afraid.

7 comments:

  1. That's some real nice thinly veiled calling out of one race you did there. Are you saying that only aboriginal people create problems in this city? And did you seriously use the term "squaw"? It's nice to know that some people still live in the good 'ol racist 1960s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said nothing racist. You inferred it.

      rac·ism
         [rey-siz-uhm] Show IPA
      noun
      1.a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
      2.a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
      3.hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

      I don't think I did any of those in my post.

      Xenophobia... maybe that's my issue, but I doubt it.

      From Wikipedia,

      "Winnipeg's gang activity involves mainly Native Canadian gangs. Throughout the 1990s, Winnipeg was the gang capital of Canada per capita." (unreferenced)
      "Adult gangs in Saskatchewan are almost entirely aboriginal based" (referenced)

      But... what's there to be afraid of... right?

      Delete
    2. None of your readers is dumb enough to believe that you used "BRAVEly" and "SQUAWking" (with that exact emphasis) without fully knowing that "brave" and "squaw" were terms for aboriginal people. Calling someone a "Brave" is pretty outdated term, and "squaw" is a very insulting term used to demean aboriginal women.

      Way to go with keeping things civil. You do our city proud.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Squaw is an Algonquin word, meaning woman, or wife. While it CAN be used offensively, I made no reference to anyone's character. Again, you inferred meaning, and apparently, insult.

      Delete
  2. "Are you saying that only aboriginal people create problems in this city?"

    Somebody has to say it, given that it is a fact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are idiotic, selfish, annoying people who talk and f-bomb in the middle of the night. Let's just stick to the FACTS, huh?

    Why does every discussion go off on some tangent?

    ReplyDelete